PerkinElmer Informatics offers several laboratory solutions designed to allow
for adherence to the Twelve Principles of Green Chemistry set for by the ACS.
Established by the American Chemical Society Green Chemistry roundtable, these principles outline the methodologies scientific organizations and individual researchers can adhere to in order to conduct lab processes with minimal impact upon human and environmental health.
Twelve Principles of Green Chemistry:
- Prevention: Rather than clean or treat waste after formation, take measures to reduce the creation of waste in the first place.
- Atom Economy: Efforts should be made to incorporate process materials into the final product, reducing waste and increasing materials efficiency. Atom Economy = (Mass Weight Product / Sum of Mass Weight of Reactants) x 100.
- Less Hazardous Chemical Syntheses: Reduce use and creation of substances that are toxic to human and environmental health.
- Designing Safer Chemicals: Substances should be designed to maximize efficacy while reducing toxicity.
- Safer Solvents and Auxiliaries: Efforts should be made to avoid use of auxiliary substances, and non-toxic solvents should be selected when using an auxiliary substance is absolutely necessary.
- Design for Energy Efficiency: Energy use should be minimized with environmental and economic impacts in mind.
- Use of Renewable Feedstocks: Renewable raw materials should be selected whenever possible.
- Reduce Derivatives: To reduce the use of additional reagents or creation of additional waste, use of derivatives should be avoided if possible.
- Catalysis: Selective catalytic reagents are superior to stoichiometric reagents.
- Design for Degradation: Substances should be designed so that when they are no longer useful or effective, they degrade into innocuous materials that do no accumulate in the environment.
- Real-time analysis for Pollution Prevention: Efforts should be made to create real-time, in-process methods to detect and prevent the formation of toxic and bio-accumulative substances.
- Inherently Safer chemistry for Accident Prevention: Substances and processes to produce substances should be selected to minimize potential for chemical accidents.
Implementing these methodologies is scalable through an offering of several solutions provided by PerkinElmer Informatics. Here is a sampling of how our products can make a positive, green impact in several areas of laboratory management:
- Reduce disposal and waste of chemicals through purchasing management
- Allow Environmental Healthy and Safety (EH&S) reporting and monitoring
E-Notebook for Chemistry:
- Fully integrated with Inventory
- Green chemistry configurations available
- Provide preferred/alternate solvent information
- Reduce trial and error in synthetic method development
- Manage and analyze trends of use and performance throughout organization
- Reduce trial and error in analytical method development
Learn how you can implement these green chemistry solutions by speaking with our technical support staff who can recommend suitable laboratory informatics by contacting us here.